Sunday, January 30, 2011

Interpretation of the Clip "America"

I would like to begin this blog entry by acknowledging that I am a huge fan of Hugh Laurie and his work.  However, it seems as if Hugh Laurie was attempting to portray himself has the singer/song writer Bruce Springsteen.  I made this assumption from the very worn blue jeans and flannel shirt that is common with Bruce's concerts.  In addition, Hugh Laurie was also wearing a bandana tied around his head which is Bruce's signature trademark per se.  I would assume that this skit was purposely arranged to represent the heart of American culture
Hugh Laurie also plays a familiar melody but keeps repeating America over and over which seems to make the audience laugh.  Although I have never been someone that greatly understood British humor, I assume that Hugh Laurie is again poking fun at the lack of content that many American songs have.  I assume that Hugh Laurie is representing that Americans are either happy / vain enough to just hear the word America over and over again.  However, Hugh Laurie could be demonstrating a satirical reference that we expect our culture to be everything American.  As the clip ends, a man come over and knocks out the American singer being portrayed by Hugh Laurie.  I think the man was knocked out to represent that, depending on the situation; American culture needs to be toned down or tuned off.  I think this clip cleverly points out how American culture is interpreted.

No comments:

Post a Comment